This Peter Lehmann Masters Eight Songs Shiraz is deep red in colour with a black core and a bouquet of charcoal chocolate notes with dark plum and mocha, finishing with soft velvety tannins and rich opulent fruit on the palate.
While drinking beautifully now, you may wish to put it away in the cellar for another five years or so during which time it will soften further and become a little more complex. We recommend that it be carefully decanted 2-3 hours prior to serving to allow the wine to breathe and to leave any sediment behind.
‘Eight Songs for A Mad King’ was one of Peter Lehmann’s favourite vocal ensemble musical works, loved for its soft harmonies.
This is sourced from some of the oldest, low-yielding vineyards in Barossa. It was first made in 1996 from three 100-plus year-old vineyards with the aim of producing a decisively soft style unlike any other Peter Lehmann Shiraz before it. Maturation in 100% new French oak hogsheads integrates the rich fruit and velvety tannins to enhance mocha chocolate and dark plum fruit characters.
The 2012 vintage came early and was very small. The weather was quite mild throughout and the quality of the red wines is outstanding- they are beautifully balanced with great colour and varietal definition and should age gracefully for many years in the cellar.
Fermented and macerated on skins for up to 2 weeks with some partial barrel fermentation. Following pressing and clarification, the wine was matured in French oak hogsheads for approximately 18 months.>
8 Songs Shiraz sings with rare roast beef, rich casseroles, beef and game pies, and of course, a great aged cheddar
Awards & Accolades
- Bronze 2015 Barossa Wine Show, Class 10 2013 Vintage
- Silver 2015 London International Wine and Spirit Competition 2011 Vintage
- Bronze 2014 London International Wine Challenge 2010 Vintage
- Bronze 2013 Barossa Wine Show, Class 11 2010 Vintage
- Silver 2012 National Canberra Wine Show, Class 19 2009 Vintage
- Silver 2012 Barossa Wine Show, Class 11 2009 Vintage
- Silver 2010 Brisbane Wine Show, Class 18 2009 Vintage
- Bronze 2013 Sydney Royal Wine Show, Class 30 2009 Vintage
- Bronze 2013 Royal Adelaide Wine Show, Class 32 2009 Vintage
- Bronze 2011 Melbourne Wine Show, Class 22 2009 Vintage
- Bronze 2011 Barossa Wine Show, Class 10 2009 Vintage
- Silver 2011 Sydney Royal Wine Show, Class 36 2008 Vintage
- Silver 2011 Royal Adelaide Wine Show, Class 28 2008 Vintage
- Bronze 2012 Royal Adelaide Wine Show, Class 29 2008 Vintage
- Bronze 2012 London International Wine Challenge 2008 Vintage
- Bronze 2012 Decanter World Wine Awards 2008 Vintage
- Bronze 2011 National Canberra Wine Show, Class 19 2008 Vintage
- Bronze 2010 Royal Adelaide Wine Show, Class 26 2008 Vintage
- Bronze 2010 Barossa Wine Show, Class 10 2008 Vintage