The Peter Lehmann H&V Eden Valley Chardonnay is sourced from a vineyard in Wilton in the cool high section of Eden Valley, where the superior Bernard clone from Dijon has been planted in lean, rocky soils. The steep east-facing block benefits from cooling breezes. A Burgundian approach was taken to the winemaking, with grapes picked early and kept cool to retain their pristine flavour. Fermentation in French oak hogsheads with regular lees stirring creates a wine of great complexity and lift.
This Chardonnay displays the wonderful diversity of the Barossa region. The grapes were sourced from select premium grower vineyards in Eden Valley. Perched atop the Eastern Barossa Ranges, the Eden Valley is a cool climate area with steep slopes and lean rocky soils – the ideal growing conditions for early ripening Chardonnay thus preserving its youth and elegance.
2013 is the earliest vintage ever with the weather being fine and dry throughout. The crop was small, producing outstanding white wines that show delicacy and great purity of fruit. The grapes were grown by a small number of growers in the cooler climate high hills of the Eden Valley.
After crushing, the juice was drained directly into heavy toast French hogsheads allowing the natural flora on the grapes to initiate primary and malo-lactic fermentation. The wine was matured for 8 months on lees in barrel prior to bottling.
This is a wine to enjoy with delicate seafood or with white meat dishes—such as roast chicken.
Awards & Accolades
- Winner 2015 Barossa Wine Show – The Barrel Finance Logistic Trophy for Best Dry White Chardonnay, Class 4 2013 Vintage
- Gold 2015 Barossa Wine Show, Class 4 2013 Vintage
- Bronze 2015 Royal Adelaide Wine Show, Class 3 2013 Vintage
- Bronze 2015 London International Wine and Spirit Competition 2013 Vintage
- Winner 2013 Barossa Wine Show – The CozWine Trophy for Best Dry White Chardonnay, Class 4 2012 Vintage
- Gold 2013 Barossa Wine Show, Class 4 2012 Vintage
- Gold 2012 Melbourne Wine Show, Class 16 2012 Vintage
- Bronze 2014 Sydney Royal Wine Show, Class 11 2012 Vintage
- Bronze 2013 Royal Adelaide Wine Show, Class 2 2012 Vintage
- Bronze 2013 National Canberra Wine Show, Class 8 2012 Vintage
- Bronze 2013 London International Wine and Spirit Competition 2012 Vintage
- Winner 2012 National Canberra Wine Show – Best Chardonnay Premium Classes 2011 Vintage
- Winner 2012 Barossa Wine Show – Best Dry White Chardonnay, Class 4 2011 Vintage
- Gold 2012 National Canberra Wine Show, Class 20 2011 Vintage
- Gold 2012 Barossa Wine Show 2011 Vintage